If you are a resident of Toronto, then one of your major concerns is basement water seepage and leaks. These kinds of leaks and seepage are the major reasons for wanting to waterproof your basement. Basement waterproofing refers to techniques and materials used to reduce water penetrating the base of a house or other structure. It involves a wide spectrum of measures aimed at removing or redirecting the water away from the basement, such as application of materials or sealants and installation of drains. In order to understand the role of basement waterproofing contractors in Toronto, it is important to begin easy by understanding what the causes of this phenomenon are.
What Are the Causes of Basement Water Seepage?
In order to appreciate the need for basement waterproofing, it is important to understand the factors that lead to this phenomenon. The following are some of these factors;
- Soil subsidence – Due to massive water saturation, underground water removal or as a result of heavy mining activities, soil may be forced to shift downward near or under the peripheries of the foundations of a building. This process is called subsidence, and is a major cause of basement water seepage.
- Dysfunctional gutters and downspouts – Gutters and downspouts may be rendered dysfunctional as a result of clogging. When this happens, the rainwater that would have been safely disposed by these structures is channeled into the soil near the foundation of a building, thereby causing an increase in the hydrostatic pressure. This pressure is known for its high contribution to major leaks and water seepage in basements.
- Narrow and shallow foundations – This is perhaps the cause of a majority of basement water seepage cases witnessed with most structures. It often results from shoddy workmanship on the part of masons. When the foundations are not laid deep enough, they are often susceptible to soil erosion, which consequently leads to water seepage into the basements.
- Cracks within concrete – Due to poor finishing or as a result of aging, cracks might emerge in concrete. These cracks often allow water to gradually seep trough the walls of the house and into the basement.
When You Should Hire a Basement Waterproofing Contractor in Toronto
It is important to understand the warning signs that might necessitate contracting basement waterproofing services in Toronto. The following are some of the sure indicators that you need to hire a basement waterproofing Toronto contractor:
- Cracked walls – Cracks in the basement walls may be due to severe pressure or structural damage on the walls. Cracks can take any shape from horizontal, vertical or even diagonal.
- Buckling walls – Another sign that will indicate you need to hire a basement waterproofing contractor is when walls in your basement appear to be bowed inwards.
- Peeling paint – Peeling paint along basement walls is perhaps one of the signs of severe water seepage in the walls. It is often one of the major leading causes of bowed walls.
- Efflorescence – Efflorescence is yet another indication that you should hire a basement waterproofing contractor. It is normally characterized by a white, powdery residue found on basement walls near the floor.
- Mold – Lastly, you need to regularly check your basement walls for fungi growth, as they are often associated with damp, dark areas.
Why you should hire a Basement Waterproofing Contractor in Toronto
- Professional services – These contractors are known for their high level of service delivery. Once you contact them, they will urgently respond to your calls and assess the extent of damage of your basement before prescribing the appropriate remedy.
- Customer service – Basement waterproofing Toronto understand customer needs and as such, they operate a 24-hour customer call center that ensures you can contact them at any time of day or night.
- Better rates – While it is no doubt these contractors are business outfits, rarely does the business motive come first in the course of their operations. This can be seen by the rates they offer for complete basement waterproofing which caters for home or property owners of various income levels.
How to find Basement Waterproof Contractors in Toronto
The excellent service delivery by these contractors has lead to their high reputation, hence it is very easy to have a friend or family member recommend them. This is due to the fact that many who have used their services have always returned positive feedback.
Another way to find these contractors is by looking up information on the internet. While at this, ensure you read the valid customer reviews in order to get a glimpse of the level of satisfaction they offer.